Saturday, December 29, 2007
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, I did and I always look forward to January. Nothing special in the month so it is great to cozy up and start all sorts of projects or just get extra reading in. I plan on doing all of that! Christmas is wonderful but it is always sad to see the decorations go back into the boxes.
I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year!!
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
1. I love collect vintage Christmas ornaments and decorations, they remind me of both of grandmothers and what they had on their trees
2. I look for vintage Christmas wrap, ribbon and cards at sales, I love all old Christmas paper stuff.
3. I like for Christmas day to be cloudy and dark, not sunny, the Christmas lights look prettier that way:-)
4. One of my favorite movies to watch at Christmas is We're No Angels, It is an old movie but I didn't know about it until a few years ago.
5. I buy a special ornament each year that symbolizes something of the year, this year a friend gave me a vintage glass ornament with cherries because of my camper.
6. I love to drive through the local Christmas light display at night when it is snowing. There is a wonderful huge display on a farm and they play Christmas music. I roll down the windows and turn the heat up!
7. This will be the 1st year I wake up to Christmas morning alone and I have an hour and half drive to my parents. (my son moved out recently, he is a big boy now....sad) So I am going to leave Christmas music playing and lights on so when I get up it doesn't feel lonely.
8. Christmas Eve is a special night for my attached man & me, It is our private cozy Christmas exchange of presents.
9.When my son was 1 I started an advent calendar with him and did one until last year, he is 22 now. I think he humored me the past couple of years:-)
10. I am wanting to start a new tradition by making Kahlua cheesecake, I hope it turns out!
11. I know an older lady that is going to be alone for Christmas and she made the comment that Santa was going to fly right over her house this year. So Christmas morning before I go out of town I am going to leave a surprise package for her and mark it "From Santa"
12. I think Christmas is a magical time of year and it is sad when I meet someone that doesn't like it.
I did it!! Took some thinking on my part but now I am going to tag Amanda @ Cottage Contessa
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
and Penny at Lavender Hill Studio,
(it is easy to just cut and paste then add your answers)
Scrooge or Elf??
1.Wrapping paper or gift bags? wrapping paper, I love the bows 16. Clear or colored tree lights? Clear
2. Tree--Real or Artificial? Artificial
3. When do you put Christmas tree up? Around Thanksgiving
4. When do you take the tree down? whenever I find time, usually by mid January,
5. Like egg nog? Yes
6. Do you have a nativity scene? yes
7. Favorite gift received as a child? Liddle Kiddles, dolls, Coke dispenser, there are way too many
8. Hardest person to buy for? my dad
9. Easiest person to buy for? my sister
10. Worst Christmas gift? Life Saver book when I was in 1st grade
11. Mail or email a Christmas card? Mail cards
12. Favorite Christmas movie? A Christmas Story
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? in the Fall
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don't think so???
15. Favorite food to eat on Christmas? cheeseball
17. Favorite Christmas Song? Carol of the Bells
18. Travel during Christmas or Stay home? Would like to stay home but have to travel
19. Can you name Santa's reindeer's? Dasher Dancer Prancer Vixen Donner Blizen Comet Cupid Rudolph, LOL I know words to Rudolph Red Nose Reindeer.
20. Angel or Star on Tree top? Bow
21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Both
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The crowds & traffic
16. Clear or colored tree lights? Clear
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Well it does look like Christmas here!! Snow is coming down and we are suppose to get a foot to a foot and half of snow by tomorrow morning! The wind is suppose to pick up and be blizzard like conditions, so I am going to snuggle in for the weekend and do some Christmas baking and cooking, watch Christmas movies and just about anything I want! (This will be my 1st snow storm alone, my son moved out a few months back.) So just me here but I am OK with that. My attached man lives 40 miles away and since he is a fire chief, I guess he feels he needs to protect his town. I respect that but it would be awfully fun to have him here to cozy up with:-) he would be handy for shoveling too!
I have been super busy in the store and people have been buying my decorated Christmas trees. If had set out to really sell them I am sure I wouldn't have sold any. It is amazing how many people like buying pre-decorated trees. I even sold my pink one! I couldn't resist, I shot the lady a price and she actually said she would take it! What a fun season this has been. Even today in the snow we are busy. I feel very blessed being able to continue having a business I love and I am thankful everyday.
Here is a picture of my latest shade. It is made out of pink vintage fabric with roses and a splash of pale yellow. I have it on a pink & yellow pottery lamp. I really did like the way it turned out. I have had several things I have been working on and they don't seem to be lasting long around here! I took these old punched reflectors and did some interesting ornaments out of them. Another collage too. I don't know what I am going to use all these vintage little watch dials for but I just think they are cute!
Does anyone remember Jiffy Pop Popcorn?? They had it at Target so I thought, Hey I remember this from when I was little! I will have to try it for a $1. Well let me tell you, It is not as much fun to make as it is to eat, they used to tell us that. It was a real pain to stand there swirling it around waiting for it to pop.
I think it was fun for us to watch but then Mom did the swirling, lol. We always
use to tell our mom, "It tastes better when you do it Mom"
I hope to be able to get around to visit everyone over the weekend, seems like ages since I have had time to visit. I hope everyone has been having a wonderful holiday season!!
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
They are saying snow is on the way for us and under a snow advisory for 3-5 inches. It will certainly feel like Christmastime if we get that! Not too good for the antique business but I always have plenty to keep me busy. It is always exciting when the 1st snow comes!
Hey Rudolph is on tonight! It's only me here but I am going to watch it anyway. Always reminds me of being a little girl. Those Christmas and holiday memories are very special to me. I had a wonderful childhood and if I could pick a time to go back to it would be the days when my sister and I had tea parties, played with our dolls, whispering after bedtime when we were suppose to be asleep, and the main thing..............Dad paid the bills and we didn't have a clue what bills were! So I am always thankful of my happy childhood especially at Christmas. I like to get out the old photos with a magnifying glass to check out the toys we got and all the decorations.
I have to get busy but also wanted to include some pictures of more of my decorations and my pink polka dot ornaments. They are so girly, I am going to list those in my Etsy store. I couldn't get a good picture today of my pink front window but you get the idea, much prettier in person. I tucked greenery in my chandelier and then hung glass ornaments from it. The little tree is in my laundry area and I have several vintage kids toys for it. Sure wish I had more bottle brush trees but not sure where I would put them! Hope everyone has a cozy evening:-)